Thursday, January 21, 2010

Next Steps

I am extremely excited to announce that I have been accepted into the Doctor of Ministry program with a focus in Reformed Theology offered jointly by Pittsburgh Theological Seminary and the University of Aberdeen, Scotland. Before going any further, let me clarify that this degree is meant to be pursued and completed while working in a congregational setting, with cooperation between the local church, seminaries, and doctoral candidate to determine how this course of study will be mutually beneficial for all parties. I am delighted session has approved this move and I look forward to integrating my course work here at Church in the Hills through worship leadership, research, and the faithful following of our mission to be Christ’s church here in Bellaire.


A Doctorate of Ministry is the highest professional degree available for clergy and is meant to be completed through a combination of on-site classes and research/writing completed away from campus, culminating in a dissertation based on an element of focus in one’s home church. My time away from Church in the Hills will be limited to two weeks each January and August for the next four years, alternating classes between Pittsburgh and Aberdeen, Scotland, starting this August. Each session will require me to use one Sunday off from the congregation. In general, this degree will not require any additional study leave than is already allowed in my terms of call.


I am overwhelmingly excited to share news about this next step and would be happy to answer any questions, comments, or concerns you might have. I would like to again extend my thanks to the session for their willingness to support and encourage me as I pursue this doctoral degree over the next four to five years. I hope you will all be active participants in this process as a local committee is formed to help guide my course of study and offer suggestions for potential dissertation topics most helpful for the mission of Church in the Hills.


The next few years will be an exciting adventure and I could not be happier to be taking them with Church in the Hills.


Peace and grace to you,

Pastor Andrew Pomerville

1 comment:

Pastor Bill said...

I am really excited for you. I look forward to hearing about your experience.
-Bill